Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Why Medical Students Should Take Acting Classes

The first biochem exam was pretty easy, but I'd had a lot of the material before.  Now we're getting into stuff that I'm familiar with, but never really studied in detail.  The more specifically medical stuff.  Chromosomal abnormalities, genetics and cancer, that sort of stuff.

Thanksgiving was restful.  My parents picked me up and we went to visit a close friend of the family.  I didn't have to fly anywhere, plan anything, or handle a large family meal.  I don't think my mind could have handled any of those things.

Our clinical medicine course has moved on to taking a sexual history.  A lot of students lead into these questions by saying something like, "Sorry, I know this is awkward, but..." which I don't understand.  I guess some people just process awkwardness out loud, but I don't.  If I'm feeling awkward about something, I don't usually tell people that.  I would just ask the question, which is what you're supposed to do anyway.  In my head, I'm going "Oh god, this lady is old enough to be my grandmother and I'm asking her how many sexual partners she has," but then the ego kicks in and I try to act like I'm totally cool and definitely know what I'm doing.  Which is exactly what you should do.  If you act confident, most people will buy it.  The first real patient I interviewed on my first shadowing experience this year said she liked my interview style and was surprised when I said she was the first person I'd interviewed besides my classmates.  The reason for that?  I acted like I knew exactly what I was doing, even though I had absolutely no clue what she was talking about half the time.  And forget trying to write down the drugs everyone is taking.  You have no chance of spelling them correctly, and they're all in the official chart anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment